Thursday, August 1, 2013

It's all in how you view a disappointment



Well, this is NOT how I hoped to start my day in the OBX! I woke up to the sound of rain pinging off the roof. Although I had hoped it was just the outside sprinklers, a quick walk to the kitchen, where we have a beautiful view of the Currituck Sound, revealed it was not. Of course, I am terribly bummed by this! My babygirl finally makes it to the beach and now we have craptastic weather. Complaining? Not really. I believe it is more of stating facts about the current situation.

Oh I could complain. This is definitely a disappointment, especially since we love being at the beach! But rather than look at it as a downer, I am choosing to view it as something positive. After a 10 hour drive yesterday, we sure don't want to spend much more time in the car, but it will be nice to explore the area here, something we don't do much because we are beach people!!! Perhaps we will take a drive down Route 12 and see Kitty Hawk, NagsHead. Maybe we will do a lighthouse tour, checking out the lighthouses in the area. Maybe, just maybe we will find that although it is raining and a bit miserable, there is fun to be had! Heck, maybe we can drive back up Route 168 and see Grave Digger, the Monster Truck, today!!!! 

I believe all disappointments in our lives can and should be viewed as a potentially positive situation. We may not be able to see past our frustrations at the immediate time our disappointment sets in, but somewhere in the midst of our frustration or disappointment, there is something that we can be positive about. Far too often we focus on what it is that has us down, what it is that is ruining our 'what's supposed to be' that we don't realize that there is plenty of good surrounding us. Sure rain can ruin plans, but it can also help new plans evolve and that is a wonderful thing! It can also help us realize where our true thankfulness lies. If we treat all frustrations and disappointments with only the negative feelings they so often give us, we will never learn to appreciate what's hidden in our lives. Not everything we should be thankful for is right out there in plain sight! Sometimes we have to acknowledge our disappointments with an open mind to see that there is something good within it! It is almost like missing the rainbow because we were so worried about the rain!

Today, I am going to find my rainbow and I hope you find yours too!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, my friends, Hello!!!

  Well, hello there my old friends. It has been such a long time since I felt like sitting down and writing. (and after I published this, I ...