Wednesday, April 13, 2016

A picture is worth a thousand words (or 4 generations, at least)



If you've read the most recent of my blogs (since I fell off the blogging bandwagon a little bit ago), you are aware that my oldest daughter was recently married to the love of her life. In the blog that was posted about the wedding, I spoke of how much I missed my grandparents and had wished they could have been physically present at their great granddaughter's wedding. I didn't fib. That is true. I miss them terribly and if I could have had one wish for my daughter's wedding day, it would have been to spend just THIS day with my Grandma Marilyn, Pappy Lester, and Pappy Wip. Just to have THOSE three back for just one more day.....

But that's not the purpose of this blog today. Today, I want to talk about the picture right up ^there ^! Truth be told, I heard my daughter talking to the photographer about the 'special' picture she wanted. Having no idea what it was, I really didn't pay much attention to the rest of the conversation. I figured she knew what she was doing (since everything was looking perfect up to that point).

While three of my grandparents had a different vantage point of this big day, one very special lady WAS physically present at the wedding. My last living grandparent, Alyssa's GREAT-Grandmother LaRue, in all her 87 years of absolute beauty, was sitting front row, as proud as I've ever seen her! My Gram is truly one of my life's biggest blessings.

I feel like I can identify with her, to a degree. No, I'm not even close to 87 years old (although sometimes I feel it), but my Gram and I have many likenesses, many shared experiences. The year was around 1957. LaRue Rehrig was married and had 5 beautiful little girls, ranging in age from 12-3 years old, when her husband decided he didn't want to be married to her anymore. And he left. My Gram, the strongest woman I know, was left to care for her five girls pretty much on her own, doing what she could and what she had to in order to keep a roof over their heads. That lasted for about 3 years (ish), until my grandfather, my Pappy Wip, came into the picture and 'rescued' my Gram and her girls. Pap brought with him my Uncle Rod, Uncle Fred, and eventually, my Aunt Deb. It was like an early version of the Brady Bunch. And it worked. And they loved each other deeply for the next 50 some years (although they were only married part of that time). And together, they built a legacy! My stepson made the comment at Alyssa's wedding that SHE, my GRAM, was solely responsible for more than half the people at the wedding. He pretty much wasn't kidding. And she was soooooo proud to be there.

In a parallel life, years later, I found myself married with 2 beautiful girls, when my husband decided he didn't want to be married anymore. I did the best I could to be the best mother to my girls during some very tough times, much like my Gram did for her girls. Eventually, the love of my life came along and he rescued me and my girls. And we love each other deeply (and will for a long time to come)! And together, we are working on our legacy.

So, when Lynn, the amazing photographer at the wedding (Photography by Lynn, check her out!), called for me, my Mom, and my Gram to come over to her and Alyssa, I assumed we were getting a 4 generation picture together in the church. I was slightly wrong. My daughter wanted a generational picture of our hands, with our wedding rings, atop her bouquet. The result is what you see here. And this picture means so much to me, and my Mom. These hands represent years of love. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but I think this picture is priceless. My Grandma's hands have worked hard in her life and she has given us all a fine example of unconditional love. She loves entirely, deeply, and equally. She is a true blessing. She is my Gram.

Until next time.......Think Thankfully!

5 comments:

  1. I think you have pretty much nailed it Little Girl. Love you and our family. And yes, she certainly was the matriarch of nearly half, if not more, of those present. But, that's what this family does so well. We are always there to celebrate, in life and in death. It is a picture worth enlarging, matting and framing. For, you never know if this opportunity will pass by when Erika is ready to marry. Capture the moment and run. Thanks for sharing. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, my friends, Hello!!!

  Well, hello there my old friends. It has been such a long time since I felt like sitting down and writing. (and after I published this, I ...