Saturday, January 18, 2014

Take time to enjoy the simple things!


Some people may read this blog today and think, "Man is she a shallow person." Au contraire, mon frère!!!! (Gotta love attempting to write a new language, huh???? Are you impressed??!!) I am farthest thing from a shallow person, if I do say so myself, but it was while I was sitting in the chair at the nail salon this morning, that the inspiration for this blog entry hit me!

I thoroughly enjoy my 'alone' time at the nail salon. I enjoy being pampered a little bit. Quite honestly, it is the only real thing I do for myself and it only happens once every three weeks or so (depending on time and finances). This morning, I woke up to snow on the ground and the idea that I really had to go get my nails done. It had been since before Christmas, they were growing out, and way too long. They were in desperate need of an overhauling. So, I got up, got ready and headed out the door.

As I was sitting there, being pampered by a very sweet Asian lady, who had the most gentle touch I have EVER encountered while getting the nails done, I couldn't help but be utterly thankful for the moment. I was so thankful that I had made the effort and the time to go this morning. After the week I had, I needed someone to just sit and pamper me for a little bit. I was thankful that this particular nail tech had the most gentle of touches. I barely knew she was working on my nails. I was thankful I have a car that is great in the yucky weather, because I had no fear about driving with the slushy mix on the roadways. I was thankful I had the time to myself.

While I was sitting there, I got a notification of a tweet sent my way. It just so happened my 'nephew' (see, he isn't REALLY my nephew, but rather my cousin's son, but even my cousins' children refer to me as Auntie Ally, which I absolutely LOVE), Z, wondered about the basketball games that would be consuming my afternoon. What time did they start, he wondered. Graciously, I answered him (while I knew what was coming next, I let him ask it anyway). Feel like picking a nephew up? At that moment, I was incredibly thankful that my extended family refers to me as Auntie Ally and I was even more thankful that he reached out and asked. My response....in all caps.....ABSOLUTELY! Love love love the moments I spend with all my 'kids'.

So, while it may seem shallow that I am one of THOSE gals who enjoys having my nails done, the experience today really made me appreciate the little things in life. The time spent alone with my thoughts really offered me the opportunity to sit and realize that sometimes I do take for granted the little things in life that I should be a bit more thankful for. I do believe that happens to us all at some point in our lives. We are so used to things we do, we are able to do, or we are about to do that we forget that others might not have those opportunities and we should be thankful for EVERY little moment, no matter how little it may be.

As I sat there today, counting the little things in that brief hour, I realized I was thankful for: the quiet time to get my nails done, the fact that I quit biting my nails and now have beautiful ones, a great car to get me from point A to point B in yucky weather, the money to get my nails done and put gas in my car, a fabulous family, and simply the gift of a new day in which to do as much as possible to spread happiness and the idea of being more thankful!

Until tomorrow, my friends....take time each day to enjoy the simple things in life.

Think Thankfully!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, my friends, Hello!!!

  Well, hello there my old friends. It has been such a long time since I felt like sitting down and writing. (and after I published this, I ...