Friday, January 3, 2014

Baby, it's COLD outside!!!



Oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful! Baby, it's COLD outside!!  I've mashed up the two songs that keep running through my head this morning. The blowing wind awoke me at 7am (which kinda made me mad since I could sleep in today due to another snow day). As I threw on a sweatshirt to venture downstairs, I couldn't help but realize just how cold it truly was. As of now, at 9am our outside temperature gauge says it is 12*. Brrrrrrr. Kindly, our fireplace has the downstairs at a toasty 72*. Baby, it's COLD outside!

Winter Storm Hercules (still not sure why we name these suckers. Can't we just call it the First Major Storm of 14?) has definitely shown what a powerhouse he could be. I'm not sure of the total snowfall accumulation, but I can tell you that looking at my garage, the snow covers the first step and is nearly level with the top step to get into the building. That's pretty deep. Meteorologists have said that this will be the coldest spell we've had in a long time, with real feel temps dipping below zero. NIIIIIIIIICE. I don't mind it too much, though. I've got nowhere to go (until tomorrow night), so I plan on just staying in and staying warm. It cracks me up each time I see or hear someone complaining about the frigid winter temps here in Northeastern PA. Seriously, friends, we do not live in Miami! Our winters can get snowy and cold whether you like it or not. What use is it in complaining about what kind of weather our area gets? I'm 40 years old and winters here have pretty much been cold and snowy since I can remember! Part of the glory of living in the beautiful Northeastern PA region. Do I love it? No, but I do enjoy good snowstorms (much like Hercules brought here) once in a while during the winter months. I saw the best status on Facebook this morning, compliments of my dear best friend CC (or AB as I like to call him!)....."This Just In! Coming live from a reporter on the scene: "It is indeed cold out!" Several sources close to high ranking governmental officials also confirm that it is indeed Winter.  STFU!!!!”  Pretty much sums up what I am saying!!!  It's winter, people. Either accept that this is what we are prone to getting here or move where there is little to no chance of a snowstorm and crippling cold temperatures during winter!

So, with all that being said, I guess today will be the day I un-decorate my house from its Christmas glory. I normally enjoy keeping my decorations up until January 5, but since this year, that falls on a Sunday and I do not want to spend my Sunday tearing down the beautiful adornments in my home, I will put this snow day to good use. I hate to see it all go away. I love the soft lighting of the Christmas tree, the lighted garland around the doorways, the wreath on the doors. One thing I will keep (despite the protest of my youngest daughter) are my window candles. They will stay up and lit throughout the winter. I do love window candles. They make a house look homey and welcoming (not that I do much entertaining in my home). I guess when I am finished publishing this particular entry, I'll trek into the attic to get the boxes and I will begin the day long chore of depressing my house. Time for a new room makeover!

With the chilly temps, the blowing wind/snow, and the reminder that winter is, indeed, here, I hope that you are able to stay in and stay warm today and this weekend. 

Until tomorrow, my friends....

Think Thankfully!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, my friends, Hello!!!

  Well, hello there my old friends. It has been such a long time since I felt like sitting down and writing. (and after I published this, I ...