Saturday, July 6, 2013

“There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots; the other, wings."

I sure do love quotes, in case you haven't figured that out yet!!! I absolutely love this quote, which speaks to the very idea of helping our children find their place in this great big scary world. It is easy to live vicariously through our children and mold them into what WE want for them. On the other hand, it is very tough giving your children dreams, ambitions and self-confidence, while at the same time trying to help them be down to earth, without also giving them false hope that their dreams, no matter how far fetched, can be achieved. Achieving goals is not an easy task, especially when the goals are lofty to begin with. That isn't to say we shouldn't encourage our children, but we really need to keep a healthy focus on what is achievable and what may always remain just a dream. 

I have spent a lot of time trying to give my daughters roots. What are roots, anyway? Roots don't have to be a physical place to call home, but rather the feeling of home. Roots are the people who help teach us our life lessons, the people who love us at our weakest moments and praise us at our best! Roots are our family and close friends. While we have lived in the same sleepy little town for all of our lives, roots are not about the house you grew up in, the town you call home, or any physical possession....roots has everything to do with the people in our lives. I have always raised my daughters to appreciate family, make time for family, and to respect family. I pray each night, that no matter where my daughters end up, that they always remember their roots. 

Our wings start out small, allowing us to experiment, create and express ourselves, eventually guiding us to finding our own place in this world.  Yet is is our roots that form us, shape us, give us a foundation. Our roots help guide by our values and morals. But it is our wings that help us leave the comfort and safety of our nests in order to soar and work towards our goals and dreams! 

It is a sadly beautiful thing to see our children begin to spread their wings and fly. I have recently been reminded that this is exactly what their purpose in life is.  Each of my daughters is on track and carving out their own unique path in this life and living to their ultimate potential.  Our wings are always there to help us grow just that little bit more, to seek out new worlds and help us push past our own boundaries, no matter how scary or tough that new world might be!

As my oldest child started on her newest journey in her life, I sit here with a thankful heart that I provided her with the roots to help shape her and the encouragement she needed to spread her ever growing wings and fly, high above the sky, reaching her lofty, but very achievable dreams and goals!

Until tomorrow, my friends....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, my friends, Hello!!!

  Well, hello there my old friends. It has been such a long time since I felt like sitting down and writing. (and after I published this, I ...