Sunday, January 12, 2014

Free your mind....and the rest will follow



I will be the first to admit that I had a not so good mindset today. I have had something that’s been eating at me for a week now and I’ve allowed it to consume my thoughts (and in effect, my mood, too). It has put me in a cranky mood, made me a bit snippy towards those who did not deserve snippiness, and made me really unappreciative of things that would have otherwise made me smile. I do not like it. Through this whole Think Thankfully journey, I’ve learned that whatever you think about throughout the day, will affect your whole personality and mood.

If you spend your day thinking about the negative things around you and things you can complain about, you will develop a pessimistic personality. It will pull you down, and it will eventually start to take over, pushing the positive and thankful attitude further and further from your heart and mind.

Think Thankfully is a powerful way to turn around your way of thinking or looking at situations. Take the proverbial cup, for instance. You look at the cup and someone asks, “Is it half full or half empty?” At that moment the question is asked, the answer becomes dependant on your perspective. Of course, the thankful/gratitude perspective will always allow a person to see what is good or even great about their situation, rather than to fall into despair or apathy, restlessly wishing life were different. They are the ones who see the cup as half full.

Being thankful means thankfulness, counting your blessings, noticing simple pleasures, and acknowledging everything that you receive. It means being aware, on a continuous basis, of how much you’ve been given (and trust me, when you start really keeping track of what you are thankful for, you quickly realize just HOW MUCH you’ve been given!). Gratitude shifts your focus from what your life lacks to the abundance that is already present.

When things don’t go your way, remember that every difficult situation has within it, a positive…..something that, in fact, is better than you could have expected or imagined! In the face of hardship and negativity, ask yourself: “What’s good about this?”, “What can I learn from this?”, and “How can I benefit from this?” This truly does work when trying to follow the Think Thankfully philosophy. Rather than dwell on the negative, try to dig deep and see what the positive spin is. It’s there. You just have to be willing to search a little for it. You will be glad you did!

Once you condition yourself to look for things to be thankful for, you will find that you begin to appreciate simple pleasures and things that you previously took for granted. I’ve seen this happen with my friends on the great book of Faces, who have started to post daily thankful posts. Sometimes, they find pretty intense things in their day to be thankful for, while other times I smile because it is a simple little thing. They have started to appreciate more of the simple pleasures and are able to see that there truly is something good in every single day! Gratitude should not be just a reaction to getting what you want, but an all-the-time gratitude, the kind where you notice the little things and where you constantly look for the good even in unpleasant situations.

Until tomorrow, my friends….start bringing gratitude to your experiences, instead of simply waiting for something good to happen in order to feel grateful! Dig deep and……

……THINK THANKFULLY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, my friends, Hello!!!

  Well, hello there my old friends. It has been such a long time since I felt like sitting down and writing. (and after I published this, I ...