Friday, April 22, 2022

Boy did I mess up!


 

I host a YouTube channel (Aunt Ally's Storytime) where I upload videos of me reading stories mainly for my nephew and niece, but it has garnished some other interest and a few more children seem to enjoy the weekly storytime with "Aunt Ally".

As I scrolled through Amazon to purchase more books to read, I came across one that had a strange familiarity to me. Tikki Tikki Tembo. As soon as I saw the title, I immediately began to sing: "Tikki Tikki Tembo-no Sa Rembo-chari Bari Ruchi-pip Peri Pembo". It is a catchy rhyming phrase that has a sing songy sound to it. So, I bought the book.

It arrived yesterday. I read it. I was embarrassed that I was so ignorant about the story. To be entirely honest, I couldn't remember the story and I still do not remember WHY that phrase is so sing songy in my head, but after reading the story, I decided I will NOT be using it in a weekly story telling session.

The book is touted as a Chinese folktale, but as I read the story, I quickly realized that the story seems to give off a rather stereotyped, negative impression of the Chinese culture and moreso, the family unit. I did some researching of some things presented in the 'folktale' and found them to be completely false and THAT made me sad. And while I don't think the author of the book, Arlene Mosel, meant for her story to be offensive, I just couldn't, in good conscience, use that children's book on my storytime.

Reading the story reminded me of an in-service training that we had to do about cultural sensitivity. Things that we grew up saying, things that seemed absolutely harmless in spoken words, were in fact, offensive phrases to some cultural groups. There was a lot of backlash to that in-service.

 

"We've ALWAYS said that."

"My goodness people need to lighten up."

"Watch me stop saying that just because some snowflakes were offended." (yup - that was really said.).


It stuck with me hearing people say these things. And while I, too, questioned how some of the things were offensive, once explained I could understand. When you grow up in a more privileged culture, there is no way you can totally understand the offensiveness of things to other cultures and in NO WAY should you be diminishing their being offended. With an open mind, you CAN begin to understand their point of view, their feelings.

I messed up. I took a sing songy phrase that I remember from somewhere in my childhood and thought nothing of it. It never even phased me that it MIGHT be derogatory in nature. I ordered the book and eagerly awaited its arrival, planning to use it next week on my channel. I failed to look it up more before diving in.

There is nothing wrong with admitting a mistake, admitting you've messed up. While there was no harm done with my mess up, but there could have been. If you believe you can never be wrong, you’re actually wrong - very wrong. We all make mistakes, and it’s okay. In fact, that’s what makes us human.

 

Until next time......Think Thankfully


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, my friends, Hello!!!

  Well, hello there my old friends. It has been such a long time since I felt like sitting down and writing. (and after I published this, I ...